Tuesday, March 2, 2010

It's gonna take a lot to drag me away from you!

I leave today at 19:45. I can't believe it. It has been the longest, fastest six months I've ever experienced. While I have some more to write about my last week here, I thought I'd write on my last day a couple of other things, and I will save the rest of it for when I get home.

First of all, in case any of you don't know yet, I got into graduate school. Therefore, should all things go according to plan, I will start at Colorado State University in late August with their occupational therapy grad program. I'm very happy and excited about this. It will be a lot of work, but I've felt like this is probably what I'm supposed to do for quite some time, and getting accepted into their program was so encouraging in that.

Second of all, I hate goodbyes. Through all the stress of packing and preparing to go, the thing I feel most anxious about is saying goodbye to people who I love so much who have become so close to me. We joke sometimes that a month in Mercy Ship time is about a year in real world time, so I've known some of these people for 6 years! When I left, I said goodbye to friends and family for a short amount of time. I may not see some of the people I've met here again until Heaven. That is hard. I know once the goodbyes are done, I will be able to focus on traveling and what I need to do to get home, but it's for sure the worst part about leaving.

The last thing for now is that I really have been noticing God's provision. I always wanted to travel. I always wanted to do grad school for something. But if either of these things had happened any time before now, I would not have been ready. God wrote my story so that I'd learn what I needed to and grow where I needed to. Any different timing and nothing would have working out the way it did. One of my favorite literary quotes is from the book Peace Like a River: "Is it hubris to believe that we all live epics?" I don't think it is. I have seen that there is an Author of my story who knows so much more than I do what needs to happen and where I need to go and what I need to do. And I am so grateful.

Well, I will post more once I get home, but this is my last blog in Africa. I've had so much fun, learned so much, made incredible friends, and basically had the time of my life. I will miss it, but I am starting to look forward to what is next.

Au revoir!

1 comment:

  1. Ah, sis! Great "ggod-bye" blog. I am SO excited to see you, but I am sorry that you have to say good-byb to so many. You will just have to travel more so that you see your friends again! :) I was telling Dad and Carrie that I really think that God didn't let you get into grad school the first time so that you would do Mercy Ships. I really believe that, and I'm glad to see that you have come to that conclusion as well! (AND I'm glad you followed my advise and did it! I told you that you would have regretted not doing it!!!) Can't wait to see you THIS WEEKEND!

    ReplyDelete