Wednesday, December 9, 2009

'Cause I've got to be free

Hello from the sea somewhere just south and probably west of Ghana. So far I'm not seasick at all, although the constant (and sometimes severe) rocking makes my head feel a little weird. The ship was originally a ferry so it has a flat bottom. That makes it rather unstable.

Last night I stared at the stars for a couple of hours. I can't remember the last time I've seen so many. It was nice to discover that there are the same constellations here as there are at home. I am planning to sleep on Deck 8, outside, at least once on the voyage.

This evening during dinner, our Polish Chief Officer announced a "water tube from the sky" off the port bow. I knew instantly what he was talking about, and I ran to the window to witness my first water spout! I ran out to the bow with the intent of taking pictures, but unfortunately, as I've discovered many times here in Africa, my freezing cold room makes for a cold camera, which makes for foggy lenses for about 5 minutes or so. Also, my camera battery died at this point, so I just watched the waterspout. It was so close and absolutely amazing! We could see the water being stirred up and the funnel rotating. It amazed me because we weren't even in a storm! It was overcast but it wasn't raining at the time!

All pictures in my blog today were taken by Daniel Um.





The water being stirred up.
As it dissipated, it got ropey.





About an hour later, we got told that a pod of dolphins were nearby!


Less than five minutes later, we were told that there were whales! We didn't really see those very well, but there were many spouts from the whales as they came up for air.


Being in the waters off Ghana, I realize that all these exciting happenings in less than an hour and a half is evidence for Ghana indeed being the promised land, as they claim.
To sum it all up, sailing is awesome, and God's creation is incredible!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, sissy! That is AWESOME! How cook that you got to see all those things in such a short amount of time! Lucky gal. I am jealous!!!! Do you remember the flying fish that we saw on the cruise? Lucky, lucky, lucky duckie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that your sister is comparing your whale watching, dolphin spotting and incredible water spout to a flying fish. hehe. :) ENJOY being out to sea! That's so cool and those are some great pics... did you get 'em off of the 'ol transfer drive?? I miss that 'ol thing. But you wanna know what I miss more?? Laughing so hard that my sides hurt!! We need to chat soon! miss you!!

    ReplyDelete