Thursday, December 17, 2009

We'll search for tomorrow on every shore




It is said that dolphins bring good luck to ships. If that is the case, we will have much good fortune, as the dolphins have been coming in larger and larger numbers to swim with our ship. The day of the waterspout, I saw dolphins from afar. Every time since then, I haven't made it to the window in time to watch them swim by. But yesterday I was out on the bow when I heard the cry of "dolphins!" I hurried to the other side to join the people already staring into the water. I saw nothing. Then, just below me, one jumped. I had never seen one so close before.




Later we saw a pod of probably over 20, jumping and frolicking by the bow. There were at least four baby dolphins too, and that was really cute!





Thanks to Ali Chandra for the pictures!

That night, Kendall and I went to the bridge. We each had a turn steering the ship, which was not as complicated as I would have thought but still rather tricky. Then we went out on the catwalk in front of the bridge. The starry sky stretched out above us. In the sea below us there were constant flashes of light, probably belonging to bioluminescent fish. Then, we saw a sparkling path being made in the water. It was most likely a dolphin swimming through bioluminescent plankton, but to me, it was one of the most unearthly, amazing sights I've ever seen.
That night is when the ship started rocking in earnest. Few people on the ship slept, especially as a particularly steep swell caused stuff in pretty much the whole ship to come crashing down. The rocking itself was bad enough. The rocking continued for the last few days of the sail, making us all MORE than ready to get to Tenerife.

This morning we arrived! It is so beautiful and CLEAN! I will post pictures at some point, but for now, I'm just so happy to be still.

1 comment:

  1. Those are awesome photos! How cool! I wish you could have gotten a picture of the glowing paths in the ocean!!!! I love you, sis!

    ReplyDelete