Thursday, November 5, 2009

And when it's done we will walk where the road meets the sun


These past few weeks have been really hard for me. I know that God is doing some sort of work in my life, but it has been really hard and it is unclear what he is doing. Then last night in the community meeting, we talked about pruning.

I'd never thought about looking up pruning as I thought the analogy was pretty straightforward, but the gal who spoke did, and it made John 15:1-8 come alive, especially in my life.
According to the Brooklyn Botanic Garden:
Unlike many shrubs and trees that do well without ever being thinned or cut back, even vines grown in sizable settings may require regular pruning to keep them healthy, productive, attractive, and under control. Many vines just don't know when to quit—or in which direction to grow. They must be taken in hand early on or they will be collapsing trellises, pulling down fences, and obscuring windows and doors.

Once vines have developed adequate roots, most just keep on growing above ground. To keep a vigorous climber healthy, you must do the following:
Remove any dead, damaged, diseased, or unproductive stems.
Remove overly tangled stems.
Remove errant stems, especially those growing away from the support.
Direct its growth.
Limit its growth.

Reducing a vine's mass not only ensures that your fence won't collapse, it also allows light and air to reach the plant's interior. Don't forget, though, that pruning doesn't just reduce mass: It can increase it. Heading back stems encourages new growth.
All other websites about pruning say basically the same thing. As applied to my life, right now, I can officially say that pruning is not fun in the slightest bit. However, in the end, I don't know what is best for me. The Gardener does.
And I can definitely say that in spite of the difficulties of this time, I am enjoying the presence of God more fully now than I have in a long time. That, more than anything, makes this time okay.

1 comment: