Friday, February 12, 2010

It's about time for my arrival!


I go home in roughly 20 days or something along those lines. I am really excited to see my family and friends so soon, and yet I am really sad at the prospect of leaving. I will miss the friends I have met here and being a part something so much bigger than myself.

As we pulled into the port of Togo, there was a brass band playing all sorts of the African worship songs that we learned in Benin and deeply love. I realized as I saw the excitement of the people both on the ship and on the dock how much my soul loves Africa. In spite of all the difficulties living in Africa can pose, I just love it here. I love the people and their hearts. I love that any occasion calls for a dance party. I love the music, and the joy and abandon with which they worship. I will truly miss that.

On the other hand, I feel ready to tackle the next chapter of life. I really hope I get into grad school, because it sounds wonderful to go back to Fort Collins and go back to school and learn something that I think I will love. But even if I don’t get in, I’m feeling more and more that I can trust that God will take care of me regardless. I mean, I didn’t get in to grad school last year and God allowed me this wonderful adventure in which I got to finally travel and meet amazing people and serve Him. I think I will be disappointed and sad if I don’t get in to school, but I think I can handle it too.

But I'm not yet ready to leave. So far I love the little bit of Togo that I have seen. The dock is really nice and they have cordoned off a section for us alone, which means no dodging trucks and motorbikes like we did in Benin. Soon, we will have patients in the hospital, and the first surgery is scheduled for the 24th. It's so good to be back!

1 comment:

  1. Awesome, sis! It's good to hear you sounds excited again :) Love you!

    ReplyDelete