Wednesday, October 21, 2009

You can't always get what you want



Benin, mid-September

Back home, I hear that the leaves are turning. It's even snowed! Here, it is just getting hotter! The lighting in the evening reminds me of fall and I feel sad that seasons here consist of hot and rainy, and hot. While my parents were battling 22 degree weather with windchill of 0 (F, not C), I was sweating like crazy at the Benin vs Ghana football game. Wow!

We are all missing fall here. My lovely coworker Kendall was baking, and the cookies and muffins smelled like cinnamon. She organized them into almost a cornacopia design, and then we decided we absolutely MUST have some sort of fall Starbucks beverage. With my know-how of Starbucks drinks and Kendall's drive, we made quite passable carmal apple spices. Our next attempt has been pumpkin spice lattes. So far, the results were a little gross and weird, and the texture was similar to mucus, but I remain optimistic that we will find something that will work.

I was looking online at winter hats and longing to purchase one. It is silly, I know. Here I am, having the adventure of a lifetime, and I am sad that I can't buy a winter hat. Even if I wasn't in Africa, most people who know me can attest to the fact that I do NOT need another beanie (toboggan for my east coast friends). My argument that the hats I have been looking at are CUTE doesn't seem to quite cut it.

1 comment:

  1. Yup, it's fall. BUT you get to be tropical! I know, I know, I would probably miss it too if I was not going to leave for awhile, but it's only one fall! Think of it that way :) BTW, speaking of fall/winter weather, Riley needs a new robe from his Aunt Kaylee for his b-day...hummmm :)

    I love the description of the new drinks. LOL!
    LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete