Thursday, October 1, 2009

Say say oh playmate, come out and play with me

I was asked to be a cabin checker yesterday. Most people get asked that eventually. This means that during fire drills I have to go check five cabins or so to see if the people are there and account for them. I was all excited to start my new job with the next firedrill on October 1, but then I got an email that said that I was to be "ashore" for the firedrill. Basically, they are practicing for an emergency on a weekend when crew wouldn't be there to do their jobs, so my number came up to not be available. So maybe next time I will get to heroiclly knock on doors and say, "Cabin checker." One can only hope.

I'm so happy because my Canadian friend Michelle changed her departure dates so she can sail! She and I have started to go for walks at night. She's been here two and a half months and she knows where stuff is in the city. She's also not very intimidated by the crazy experiences of walking in Africa. Last night there was this train thing coming down these tracks that we were going to cross. We've walked by those tracks a lot and have never seen the train. It was like a tiny train engine with a really loud horn that could control its speed really well. It had to be able to. People cross those tracks and drive on them and there is no way they could just barrel down them and not kill people. Anyways, there was all sorts of honking and there were a TON on people and I was really intimidated. But Michelle was all calm and not so much nervous. She's a stud. Also on the sail will be Bonny Jean and Chelsea (hi Chelsea!). They are two wonderful America girls who work in the dining room. Pretty much awesome, these girls. Kendall, my lovely fellow sales staffer, will be there as well. It should be a good time.


A couple of weeks ago I went to Ouadah. This little fellow was enjoying asking for food from our group members, although he never ate any of it.





As I bent over to put him down, my nalgene fell out of my backpack. He picked it up and put it where anyone would if they were carrying a Nalgene:







So cute.

1 comment:

  1. That little boy is totally adorable. I LOVE the picture of him with the Nalgene....it made me want to take him home with me :) WAY TOO CUTE! Love you! <3

    ReplyDelete