Sunday, September 13, 2009

Here I am again, singing the same old tune . . .


Yesterday I went to the stilt village with my roommate Lisa. It is a village built entirely in water. People moved there to escape war in the 1700s, and it is going strong today. It was probably the most boring hour or so long boat ride to get there, and mostly we went to souvenir shops, but it was really cool! There are TONS of people there, much more than you would think would live on the river. They travel everywhere in boats. It's sort of like Venice, in Africa. Meaning it probably smelled worse and was far less classy, even though it is the same general idea. The art was heavily voodoo inspired, which I didn't like. Voodoo is rather obscene. I pointed out a disturbing carving to Lisa, and of course the store proprietor tried to get me to buy it. Fortunately, I don't have need for a wooden torso of a woman covered in snakes, so I was able to get away quickly. Lisa and I had a lot of fun taking crazy pictures with some of the statues. I hope to post these at some point, but the Internet is rather slow so I don't know when that will be.

Today we went to the artisan market. Basically it's a fancy name for a craft show (yay!). I bought some bracelets. We saw a large group of Muslims praying, which was really interesting. Unfortunately we are loud Americans, so I felt disrespectful, even though we tried really hard to keep our distance and not yell while they prayed. It was hard though because one of the guys we went with went off on his own and we were trying to find him because we were done shopping. On our way home, we bought some Fancocktails.

Fan produces are basically liquid in a bag that they freeze. Sort of ice cream, as most of the products are milk based, but the ones we got were fruit juice. Africans like eating out of a bag. It is a wonderful thing.

Last night there was an 80s dance party. I choose to watch Pride and Prejudice before going, but the party ended up being really fun. I don't know how these people found such amazing 80s attire in Africa, but they did, and it was great.
*Special thanks to Katie Herzig for the title and some guy named PJ for the picture.

2 comments:

  1. SNIFFFFFFFF....AH! The Africa smells.... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i loved eating stuff out of a bag! isn't it fun? and way easier than first imagined?

    ReplyDelete