Monday, September 7, 2009

The wild dogs cry out in the night

I have had a request to talk more about the people I've met here. So I will try. I have eight other roommates in a ten-berth cabin. Two are Dutch, one is German, one is Russian, one is Swiss (I think), and four of us are American, although one girl is going home today. My current bunk mate, Annemarie (the nice girl! Hi Annemarie if you're reading this!) is an OR nurse. Very cool. The other Dutch girl, Dinah (it's not her real name, but as we all butcher her real name, it's what she asked us to call her) is in medical school and is working in the dining room. The German girl, Sonya, is in medical school as well, and she works in housekeeping. I don't really know the Russian and the Swiss girl all that well, but the Russian is Irena and the Swiss girl is Priska and they work in the galley and the dining room, respectively. They are pretty funny. Lauren, the girl that is leaving, worked in housekeeping and is a student. Katie, who I will be bunking with after Lauren leaves, just graduated nursing school and is in hospitality. She might move to Denver when she goes back to America, and I fully intend to encourage this. Lisa is fixing to go to medical school in the States, and she sterilizes surgical equipment. They are all wonderful girls, and I feel lucky since I got the giant cabin and such awesome roommates. I will try to write more about these ladies in the future.

Last night I went for a walk with my roommate Lisa, and while she ran I got to watch ships come and go from the harbor. It was really cool! I felt like a kid! Of course, the kids who live on the ship just ignore such stuff, which is so interesting to me. Most children around the world would be stoked to see ships and tugboats and all that a harbor has to offer. But these kids have seen it all.

Tonight I had to take the safety training/HR introduction. It was . . . very fun? And by fun I mean my roommate Annemarie taught me the Dutch phrase "Dit is saai" which means "this is boring" and I made good use of it. So Annemarie made it fun. (Bedankt!)

Also, I need to mention, in case anyone thought different, but my blog represents my own personal observations, feelings, and experiences, and not those of Mercy Ships. So THERE!

1 comment: