Thursday, September 3, 2009

I hear the drums echoing tonight . . .

In spite of the half Ambien I took, I still woke up at around 3 am. I slept fitfully after that. A side effect of all the lack of rest is that I have no idea if things that happened last night were real. I think I might have made noise as I lay in bed, like talked or moaned or something. I don't know though. I feel a little bad for the nice Dutch girl that has the bunk below me. I am a little embarrassed if I did anything, but I'm afraid to ask. (Courtney, you know I do all sorts of stuff in my sleep!) Besides, she is far to nice to tell me. It is now around noon local time, and I sure as heck want to take a nap. I gave in yesterday and took two. Part of the problem was that I didn't have to work so I was a little bored. But as I nodded off while reading I felt that a nap was necessary.

I got to skip new crew training this morning and go to work. I was a little sad to miss it, as it sounds boring so it would have been good to get over with, plus several of my roommates were going. However, it feels so nice to have a job, because that equals a place. Plus, I can do the training next month. I ran the snack bar this morning. It was pretty easy, and nice to meet people, although I will have to ask their names again tomorrow.

The keyboard that all the computers here uses have the @ symbol swapped with the ". Meaning control 2 gets you a quotation mark. It is really weird and hard to get used to.

I have met some fun people. I want to follow their blogs but two of them are in Dutch and one is in Korean, so I really can't at all. It's weird. There are a lot of Dutch people here. At least the language is close to German, so I can make out something of a meaning in the words.

I haven't had much of an appetite since I arrived. I'm guessing it is due to the ever-present nausea. Hopefully as I get used to the movement of the ship, I can start to eat more.

Well, I don't have much new to report. I just figured that I should blog when I get the chance, as who knows how busy I will get in the future. I was thinking that eventually I'm going to run out of "Africa" lyrics, especially if I keep getting to blog most days, so I was wondering if anyone has a suggestion for the next song I use.

P.S. Apparently I have to pay for any packages sent to me, as it's pretty expensive to ship stuff from Texas. So if you want to send me something, keep it small and light! Plus, my closet is TINY!

2 comments:

  1. That's weird that you have to pay for your packages. Why is that? Transporting costs? I read the email you sent Dad about last night...lol. ;) I remember the ship rocking me to sleep on the cruise as well, so hopefully it will start doing that more for you. I hope the sea sickness goes away soon! Love you, sis!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heh! I am glad you got to read that email. Funny. The first conversation I ever had with Courtney when we were roommates was about that particular subject. But yeah, that's why I have to pay for packages. Because you guys send them to Texas. So your shipping isn't so bad. Love you sister!

    ReplyDelete