Wednesday, September 2, 2009

The moonlit wings reflect the stars that guide me towards salvation

Well I made it! Traveling was actually a lot easier than I anticipated. Possibly the hardest part was saying goodbye to my parents. Having taught preschool, I know that it's best just to make the parents leave. The kid might be crying and carrying on, but once the parents go, they will be fine. This is a lot easier when you're dealing with four year olds whining than myself going on a six month journey. But once we did say goodbye, and I fought back tears while going through security, things were okay.

During my flight from Denver to Washington DC I had a nice chat with a man who worked at Nestle. Apparently they are coming out with a Vanilla Honey Coffeemate right about the time I get back, so that's cool and I fully intend to enjoy that upon my return.

During my flight to London, I sat next to a girl who never got up. Not once, in the six or so hours. I was a little impressed, as my knees would get all crampy so I had to walk a lot. I tried to sleep but some Scottish girls sitting (and at one point, standing with bottom in my face) next to me talked for a large portion of the evening so I didn't get much rest.

The London/Heathrow airport is what I imagine hell to be like. I have never had to walk down more hallways with seemingly no purpose multiple times. Whoever designed that airport was probably insane, just a jerk, or didn't have much of a concept of making use of space wisely. As I tried to check in for my flight, the beautiful French representative of Air France made me feel stupid, in that way only French people can. She was abrupt and rude, but sounded so classy doing it that I had to fight the urge to apologize for being a bumbling American who didn't know anything about anything. I felt a little resentful of Air France and the French in general until my flight, on which was the most adorable flight attendant. I wanted to be her friend, so she could teach me how to be adorable and French and wear ascots with pizazz.

I rode on a little van in the airport in Paris (another place designed to be the least comfortable in the world) with a man who is the most expensive footballer in England. He was evidently on his way home to Lome. If I was English, I probably would have cared more. As it was, it was still pretty cool.

I didn't anticipate how long the flight from Paris to Cotonou would be. I watched several movies, slept, ate some weird plane food (although offering croissants and hot chocolate is keeping it classy, Air France!) and wondered where the heck I was over Africa.

My first impression of Africa was hot, sweaty, and stinky. We all crammed off the plane, pushing and generally making things much more difficult than they needed to be. Customs wasn't really bad though, and I got through rather quickly all things considered. I had no problem finding the gal who was there to pick us up. She just so happened to be my supervisor, Cathy. I liked her right away. There were five of us on the flight, and we all looked exhausted and overwhelmed as we tried to take everything in on our way to the ship.

I have nine roommates, but we have two bathrooms and two windows, so that's pretty great. Everyone here is really friendly, so though I feel lonely and like a fish out of water (hey-o!) I don't think these feelings will last for long. Thanks for your prayers everyone!

3 comments:

  1. praise God you're there safely! i loved all the descriptions...i could totally picture all the scenarios...and croissants and hot chocolate sounds amazing. have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved reading that! I am so excited for you :) You are not officially a world travler and mush braver than I! You did it!!! All alone too. Way cool. Still praying for you and loving you! (I cried the morning you left) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! You make traveling sound like such a blast! And ascots, well, just so you know, I had to look up what they actually were, and I still think you to be one of the smartest and hippest people I know! I'm praying for you!

    ReplyDelete